Saturday 22 November 2014

What Am I Doing?

So this is my hair styling blog. I've wanted to start one for a while, but I think this is the right time. My life has been overwhelming. In fact, I'm actually out of school for two months so I can recuperate.

2014 has been a crazy year. Late 2013 we got the news my mom had bladder cancer and that it had spread to her lungs and liver. March 2014, she died. April 2014, my dad started dating. Late July, he told me he was getting married. I called my local hair school, got registered, and by September I was in school after six or so years of being out, I had a drivers license, and I had an apartment.

The start of November, I was burned out. I hadn't had the time to process this year, and I'm the sort of person that needs a lot of time. I'm not ashamed to admit I have mental health issues. I have PTSD, I have Depression, and I have Anxiety. I'm lucky to work with an excellent doctor, and to have a large support system of friends.

I'll be returning to school in January, where I'll be placed right into the second semester, studying hair colour and hair cutting. My school trains us really well, I think. We start with non-permanent changes to the hair in semester 1. This is blow drying, curls, up-styling and braids. Then we move into the more permanent changes, starting with colour (that can sometimes be corrected if we make a mistake) and cutting (which is harder to fix).

I wanted to start a blog to keep track of my progress, especially with up-styling and braiding. I also wanted to blog to just talk about things I'm going through in regards to a career.
I think some part of me is afraid of success, and being able to talk about it is important.

But it's not all serious. Hair is an artform and art is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This!